ENHANCE YOUR LIFE.....FLY
ORLANDI FLIGHT CENTER offers a wide range of Designated Pilot Examiner and commercial aviation services. We are absolutely committed to finding ways to utilize the convenience and flexibility of general aviation to help you achieve your goals, whether it be through our flight training, testing or commercial flight services.
Listed below are some of our more popular commercial aviation services but whatever your need just reach out to us for asistance and we will be happy to help.
Geoff is honored to be selected by the FAA as a Designate Pilot Examiner (DPE). Practical tests as well as additional DPE services are available. Please scroll down this page for the section on DPE services Geoff can provide at 1N7 or at your base.
Wheels move the body.....Wings move the soul
DESIGNATED PILOT EXAMINER (DPE) SERVICES AT OFC:
GEOFFREY ORLANDI offering DESIGNATED PILOT EXAMINER services...
SOME QUICK FACTS to help you determine if I am the appropriate
DPE for your needs.
Practical Tests conducted for the following:
Certificate Grades........Sport, Recreational, Private, Commercial
Category........Airplane Class........Single and Multi Engine Land
...…..Single and Multi Engine Land add ons
At OFC or a nationwide location of the applicant's choosing, subject to applicable travel surcharge
How I can better serve applicants:
You may have several qualified DPEs to choose from. While they can be very good at testing, poor service can cause delay, added cost, or even
rejection of the DPE from consideration. To help avoid that I offer quick
scheduling inquiry response times, weekday and weekend testing, travel to your location if desired, and many acceptable methods of payment*
*** If you are taking a Practical Test with me please read the information below ***
SCHEDULING YOUR PRACTICAL TEST:
To schedule your Checkride simply complete and send to me the Practical Test Appointment Request form. If I have not already provided it to you it is available here. Practical Test Appointment Request.pdf. Also please feel free to call or email me, or stop in at OFC and see me. It is my desire to help make scheduling your checkride as hassle free as possible.
KEYS TO EFFECTIVE CHECKRIDE PREPARATION:
Congratulations for getting to this point. As a professional CFI my student success is my number one priority. As a DPE I want you and your instructor to achieve success as well. Adhering to the following will help eliminate many problems that can occur from lack of preparation or understanding, or from stress and intimidation the process can cause. Please contact me if you need any further explanation or discussion to understand the practical test process:
- while its easy to say "don't be nervous" the fact is that any testing can cause jitters, especially when you have spent so much time, effort, and funds to train. So to help stay relaxed look at the practical as your day to shine by demonstrating the knowledge, decision making, and skills you have acquired. The standards don't require perfection; if they did no one would pass. So the DPE is not looking for perfection, just adherance to standards. If your CFI did his or her job then you only earned the checkride endorsements after already showing that you can consistently meet or even exceed standards. That why it's called a checkride; it should be a check to formally confirm you meet certification criteria as prescribed in the applicable ACS / PTS
- my responsibility is to objectively evaluate. Without compromising that duty I certainly want you to succeed. So be prepared and organized, get a good rest, be well nourished, focus on the tasks at hand...then let your training kick in by flying the aircraft proficiently, answering questions succinctly, and demonstrating effective aeronautical decision making. If you do that I will be pleased to issue your Temporary Airman Certificate. And take some pressure off yourself by putting it in perspective; if things don't go so well that is not the end of your flying career by any stretch; it just means you need additional training so that your deficiencies are corrected before certification
- follow the Applicant Practical Test Checklist found within the appropriate ACS / PTS; it states clearly what needs to be brought to the practical test and it is there to help you avoid being unprepared
- read, study and understand the ACS / PTS from cover to cover; that document is your "open book test" and constitutes the basis upon which the practical will be conducted and the standards you will be required to meet to pass, as mandated by the FAA, and thus earn your Temporary Airman Certificate. The ACS sets forth what an applicant should KNOW, CONSIDER, & DO to result in satisfactory performance. If you don't know the answer to a question, offer where it can be looked up; if you deviate from standards during a maneuver, correct promptly
- for a full test (not retest or continuance) be prepared to devote the full day to the practical test
- a practical test consists of four parts: Pretest Briefing & Eligibility Review; Test begins with Ground Portion; Preflight Briefing & Flight Portion; Test concludes with Documentation & Debrief
- once a practical test begins it must conclude with one of three possible documents issued: Temporary Airman Certificate; Notice of Disapproval; or Letter of Discontinuance
- oral testing continues throughout the ground and flight portions of the checkride
- all testing is conducted in the English language therefore the applicant must be English language proficient
- if using an Electronic Flight Bag the geo referencing "own ship position" must be deactivated
- IACRA is the preferred method of processing applications and the link is found at faa.gov; click on Licenses & Certificates, Airmen Certification, then find the link under Online Services
- it is advisable to have a paper back up of your 8710 if it becomes necessary. You can find a fillable 8710-1 or 8710-11 (Sport Pilot) at faa.gov. Type the form number in the search box on the top right of the home page
- in accordance with FAA Order, no individual except the applicant, examiner, Aviation Safety Inspectors and designees in training are permitted to observe the practical test
-in a further effort to maintain your confidentiality and the integrity of the testing process, absolutely no recording of the practical test is permitted
- all reasonable efforts will be made to complete the test in one day but this will not be accomplished if it would compromise safety or the conduct of a complete examination
- your exercise of Sound Piloting Skills, Procedural Discipline, Broad Aeronautical Knowledge, and Effective Aeronautical Decision Making are evaluated throughout the practical test
- you will be the PILOT IN COMMAND for the flight, even if the need should arise for me to take the controls. In such a situation I will be the pilot flying but you will remain the PIC throughout the entire flight
- as your DPE conducting the practical, I will be acting as a private individual serving as a representative of the FAA to determine whether you are qualified for the certificate or rating sought pursuant to FAA requirements and standards. My personal preferences are irrelevant; the objective standards set out in the ACS / PTS are controlling
- the fees charged for DPE activities represent your payment for my time and service to you, not for the issuance of a Temporary Airman Certificate; therefore I cannot guarantee any outcome but I can guarantee you will receive the upmost professionalism, fairness, and integrity so you will either earn your certificate or understand why further training is required, after which a retest can be conducted for the areas and tasks deemed unsatisfactory
- my 3 pillars of flying (1) You will make mistakes, so stay within the safety envelope and learn from them; (2) Always fly the airplane; (3) Smile...flying should be fun. Keep these pillars in mind during your checkride and beyond
DPE FEE SCHEDULE: (subject to change; fee and payment method will be confirmed with applicant prior to exam)
Please understand I have blocked out and devoted a good part of the day to conduct YOUR checkride therefore the fees are paid at the commencement of the practical test appointment and prior to conducting any testing. Fees are non-refundable! Do not arrive on testing day unprepared because you will nevertheless incur the cancellation fee (if test not begun) or full test fee (if test has begun) as set forth below. Remember the appointment time wasted by being unprepared could have been scheduled by another applicant if a cancellation had been timely. See Cancellation Policy below. Please let me know if you have any questions about the applicable fees for your exam.
ACCEPTABLE PAYMENT METHODS ARE CASH, CHECK, CREDIT CARD (CONVENIENCE FEE applies to credit card transactions as explained on page 1 of this website). Examiner has discretion to require cash or certified funds only.
Sport Pilot Airplane: $600
Recreational Pilot Airplane: $600
Private Pilot Airplane: $650 Single Engine Land $750 Multi Engine Land
Commercial Pilot Airplane: $700 Single Engine Land $800 Multi Engine Land
Instrument Rating Airplane: $750 in Single Engine $850 in Multi Engine
Single or Multi Engine Add On (adding class at same grade of certificate): $500 Single Engine $600 Multi Engine
Non use of IACRA (using paper 8710 application): $100 surcharge
Additional Aircraft Fee (using more than one aircraft on the test): $150 each additional aircraft
Retest after Failure from another examiner (within 60 days of Notice of Disapproval): $400 minimum*
Retest after Failure from me (within 60 days of Notice of Disapproval): $300 minimum*
Continuance from another examiner (within 60 days of Letter of Discontinuance): $400 minimum**
Continuance from me (within 60 days of Letter of Discontinuance): $300 minimum**
Cancellation Fee: $250***
Administrative Duties: Student Pilot Certificate, etc.: $150 minimum for each application
Travel Surcharge Fee: $50 minimum****
*RETEST FEE: For a retest after failure (within 60 days of Notice of Disapproval from another examiner), the fee is $400 or 50% of full test fee, whichever is greater. If the retest is for a Notice of Disapproval issued by me the fee is $300 or 40% of full test fee, whichever is greater. In either situation a fee up to the full test fee may be required based upon what remains to be completed. The full test fee applies to all retests if conducted after 60 days from Notice of Disapproval.
**CONTINUANCE FEE: For the continuation of a practical test (within 60 days of Letter of Discontinuance from another examiner), the fee is $400 or 50% of full test fee, whichever is greater. If the continuance is for a Letter of Discontinuance issued by me the fee is $300 or 40% of full test fee, whichever is greater. In either situation a fee up to the full test fee may be required based upon what remains to be completed. The full test fee applies to all tests conducted after 60 days from Letter of Discontinuance.
***CANCELLATION: If applicant cancels an appointment on the day of the test (other than for unforecast weather), no shows, arrives too late to begin and complete, is found ineligible, has an unairworthy aircraft or lack or required items, OR FOR ANY OTHER REASON is unable to begin the test (no Letter of Discontinuance issued) then the fee is $250.
****TRAVEL SURCHARGE: Above fee schedule is based upon conducting the practical test at Blairstown Airport (1N7). A travel fee surcharge will be imposed on a case by case basis depending upon the distance from 1N7 and other related factors. Any location must provide a private area to conduct the eligibility review and ground portion of the test.
CANCELLATION POLICY: As a courtesy to the examiner and other prospective applicants, and to avoid incurring the cancellation fee, if you must cancel kindly do so at least 24 hours prior to the appointment.
BEST OF LUCK
Whatever your need for commercial piloting services just let us know and we will try to help you and offer you a rate quote tailored to the situation.
COMMERCIAL SERVICES AT OFC:
AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY: Do you have the need for an aerial photograph to market your home or business, or perhaps an investment property or important location needs to be documented from above for purposes of a presentation or use in court? Whatever the reason, photographs taken from our aircraft will speak a thousand words. We can do the flying and leave the photography to you or we can provide the aircraft, pilot and photographer.
FERRY FLIGHTS: Need to move an airplane? We have a wide range of experience flying numerous makes and models.
AIRCRAFT PURCHASE & SALE: Thinking about buying or selling an airplane? Talk to us for some advise and services to make your experience seamless and trouble free.
PILOT RATES: $50/hr. (add $10/hr. for Asst. Chief / Senior Pilot; add $20/hr. for Chief Pilot; add $5/hr. Tailwheel / Multi)
Layover Time at 20% of above rates
Plus expenses for travel and lodging